Re: [LUG] Yahoo spam article

On 27/06/13 16:10, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, David Bell wrote:
>
>> And, seemingly, "top posts" by default!
>
> Email doesn't top-post, the user does.
>
> I've just hit 'reply' to this email and my cursor is positioned at the
> top line. I could start typeing there and then, thus top-posting, or I
> could trim it and hit control V to get to the end - whic I did.
>
> And I'm using an email program with a pedigree older than Linux.
>
> Gordon

No, applications do.

Both gmail's web interface and Thunderbird (and I think most other mail
apps currently in existence except for weirdy beardy stuff like mutt,
pine or whatever you're using - can't be bothered reading the headers to
find out) annoyingly default to top-posting. This behaviour is easily
correctable by the user on either a case by case basis as you did or by
changing the default setting within their chosen app's preferences
pane/options dialogue/etc conf (which I did).

Either way, top posting sucks but like the changing meaning of the word
"hacker", I think we'll just have to keep this to ourselves because the
rest of the world doesn't care. You should see some of the unthreaded,
multi-page top posted crap I see limping it's way around MS shops with
Outlook/Exchange, it's literally incomprehensible.

Regards

PS: your mail client doesn't do spell checking, I see :]