Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:03:54 +0100
Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Kai Hendry wrote:
>> Are we comfortable with that?
>I certainly am not.
>But what still isn't clear to me, is how GCHQ deals with encrypted
>traffic. If they just have to discard it (except perhaps the metadata

Do people genuinely believe that, prior to the advent of email,
governments did *not* 'spy' on their own citizens?  They've always done
it, they always will.  It's just that email makes it easier for them to
do so.

Whilst they have the (in theory) ability to monitor all communications,
something like 99.99% of it will be of no interest to them.  They'll
monitor people that are known activists (e.g. Abu Hamza), members of
dissident organisations and so forth.  The rest will be cherry picked
either at random, or flagged because of certain criteria such as
keywords.

Does anyone here believe that what they get up to is *so* important that
GCHQ monitor their every move?  Surely not.

--
 Regards  _
If a thought came in your head it would die of loneliness