[LUG] UEFI Questions

I have been looking at buying a new computer to replace one which died recently. I have come up against the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. This is a replacement for the BIOS system we all know and love! I have been researching this for some time now and have finished up rather confused. Perhaps some of the list member could help please.

1 All new computers seem to have this UEFI setup. Does this mean that new computers with the old BIOS system are no longer available?

2 It seems impossible to get a new computer with no OS installed. Even those suppliers who will let you ask for one will still install Win 8 to 'test the machine'.[1] Could this be a problem?

3 Since I use Linux only I would want to install it and remove any Windows OS. Is it necessary to disable secure boot to get this to work?

4 Some people will want/need to dual boot Linux and Win 8. Is this possible without disabling secure boot?

5 I have come across something called legacy system. Is this the equivalent of the old BIOS?

6 Since I would want to use the machine to try out various Linux distros as they appear, would the only sensible way be to disable secure boot?

7 Is secure boot really worth the fuss?

Thanks for any help

Neil

[1] It seems that, if you have requested no OS you will actually get a 30 day trial version of Win 8 installed, which means that secure boot will be enabled. No doubt you are expected to find it so wonderful that you will happily pay the licence fee within the 30 days.