Re: [LUG] Debian 7 and sudo

On 14/06/13 13:02, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 14/06/13 11:04, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 14 Jun, 2013, at 9:18 am, Chris Tipney wrote:

the sudo command will ask for the root password of course

No, it will ask for your own password.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
Thanks for all the help with this. I am so used to sudo that I decided

Sudo now works in a terminal, and yes it does want my normal password
and not the one I set up for root. However gksu and gksudo are not
recognised. I also expected to be able to start mousepad as root using
alt-F2 but this did not work. Strange.

Anyway, thanks again, and I will now have a good look at Debian Xfce.

Neil

Further to the above, I checked via synaptic and found that gksu was not installed. So I installed it and I can now start a program as root via alt-f2, eg gksu mousepad.

Strange to say though, using gksu I need the root password. Using sudo in a terminal screen I need my 'normal user' password!

Neil