Re: [LUG] Flat-file database

a dictionary in Python?Â

On 6 June 2013 21:17, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2013, Philip Hudson wrote:

I want to create a simple single-flat-file database and I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding any FLOSS software to do it.

You can parse comma or colon separated files with relative ease - and this sort of thing has been around since day 1. /etc/passwd is a colon separated database of sorts. As is (was) /etc/printcap, termcap, and so on.

Of-course you then need to write the program to manage it.

My PBX software uses colon separated flat files and manages them in PHP. I can read and fill an assoc. array in PHP from my files about 100 times fast than I can do a mysql query - something that was important to me when devleoping an embedded system..

So get cracking - write the code..

Although you've not actually said what you want it for... However files like that were the staple of Unix all those years ago - you have all the tools in the shell to manipulate them - sed,awk,cut,grep and so on... And if your application uses comma separated ones them import into *office is relatively easy.

Gordon

Adrian MidgleyÂÂ http://www.defoam.net/