Re: [LUG] Debian 7 + HP LaserJet 2100 woes

On 05/06/13 20:26, Martin Gautier wrote:

> It's not one of those stupid WinPrinter things where the tech is in
> the driver rather than the printer? or is that the 1100?
>
> How about a jetdirect box off eBay? That worked for me for an aged
> OfficeJet 1200C recently.
>
> I think I'd be suspicious of the LPT->USB cable actually doing it's
> job properly - especially if Google isn't awash with similar woes.
> Hmm. Having said that if Win8 works...
>
> Have you got things set up for the simplest one-way traffic rather
> than the fancy bi-directional stuff such things used use if available.
> Maybe Win8 automatically switches into that mode whereas CUPS is
> trying to being too clever and hiccupping?
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> martin

Hmm, thanks for the tips - good idea, I've got a JetDirect box somewhere
around in my stores. The 2100 is a no-nonsense industrial strength
printer, so it's definitely not a "WinPrinter" - it's worked on Linux
previously but it was then on a simple LPT connection. Even with the
LPT>USB adaptor, Linux/CUPS can *see* it properly, they just can't print
to it.

At any rate, it's driven me so crazy at this point that I've had to give
up for the minute - I'll have another fight with it tomorrow I guess.

Cheers