[LUG] pc boot issue

Hi

My old duron 1600 isn't booting and stops at verifying dmi pool data

google suggests the follwing

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm  (see below for copy and
pasted suggestions from this website)

however if I change the boot device to cdrom
insert ubuntu 9.04 (first cd i found)
boot this and cancel at the choose language screen, i get taken back to
the boot menu for the cd
selecting boot first hdd the computer boots fine, without any issues

I am guessing there is a boot sector issue somewhere. but as I can boot
from the hdd via the cdrom maybe the issue is before that, and the
cdrom  is simply bypassing that,  the cdrom boots from the hdd
displaying a grub menu, (windows + linux dual boot)

so what exactly could be going on here,  i just thought I would try this
to rule out a few things.

clearly a few of these could be eliminated

 1. Corrupt boot files on the computer.
 2. Settings for hard drive are not correct.
 3. Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
 4. Boot devices not set properly. -
 5. BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
 6. Connections loose or disconnected.
 7. Bad hard drive or other bad hardware.

any suggestions please.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.