Re: [LUG] /dev/ttyS0

On Mon, 20 May 2013, Martin Gautier wrote:

Hi all

I seem to have lost my /dev/ttyS0 file on my Ubuntu 12.04 server. I'm thinking that I can get udev to rebuild it. Does anyone know the command to reload or re-query without rebooting?

I think it must be something to do with udevadm - I've tried "udevadm control reload_rules" to no avail...

There's a modem hanging off COM1 (/dev/ttyS0), would /dev/ttyS0 get recreated by the udev daemon if I unplugged & replugged? The server is remote or I'd have tried it myself - I could get my remote "monkey" to do it but I'd rather not...

I _can_ remote as a last resort.

Try, as root:

  cd /dev
  mknod ttyS0 c 4 64