Re: [LUG] Printing query

On 16/05/13 18:13, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:27:02AM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have a desktop computer with an HP Photosmart 5520 printer connected
via USB and working well.

I also look after 3 laptops, mine, the wife's and the daughter's.

I have set up shared printing on CUPS on both the desktop and on one
of the  laptops. When I try out a test print using open office on the
laptop the printer is found and I ask it to print but nothing happens.

When I check on the laptop I see that the job is there but 'The
printer is not responding'. Checking on the desktop the queue is empty.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please, or perhaps what I am
not doing right.

I have the same problem printing to the office printer Sharp MX-4100N

I keep meaning to try and find the problem but I am not sure where the
problem is

I have some more research and found that there is a problem with Xubuntu 12.04 which we are all using. There is some bug which stops the sharing of a printer. It does not appear to be sorted yet. I chose that version for us all as it is an LTS version. Oh well, there are ways around it and I do not need to print from the laptops very often.

Neil