Re: [LUG] Open DNS Resolvers

The default search comes up with loads of IP addresses but, if I use /32, it doesn't come up with any. Does this mean I am running open resolvers? If so, how do I get rid of them? Should I get paranoid again?

On 15 May 2013 16:42, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> So use that site to check your own IP address

Do keep in mind that by default the site searches the /22 that your IP
address belongs to. Which means that you get some information about
open resolvers on your network, which in most cases isn't very useful.
Add /32 to the IP address to make it search only you.

Running an open resolver means the machine can be used in a DNS
amplification (aka DNS reflection aka Smurf) attack: the attacker
sends a small request, from a forged address, that gives a known large
response. The response will be sent to the forged address. If the
attacker makes enough such requests, this becomes a DDoS attack on
said forged address.

It's been a big problem for quite some time.

Martijn.