Re: [LUG] Building an iCloud

Dear All

On 26 April 2013 15:18, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Owncloud and Sparkleshare look like the best options currently I'd say.

And that, I think, is that. This topic can be well and truly put to bed
now I believe - it's been an interesting discussion and I'm particularly

Sorry to wake this up again. I have installed Owncloud and started to test out it's abilities. It is disappointing to say the least. When I asked the question I was hoping for:
1. Shared calendar service. When I add an appointment, it gets sent to my wife as well. The old days of telling each other what we are up to still exist but we have found it extremely useful having the facility as well. This does not work in Owncloud. You can subscribe to calendars but not have the level of sharing we require.
2. Shared address book. This is majorly useful. There have been times when Anna has been meeting with people and passed on their contacts to me via this service. It also means the details are permanently saved in our address book. This does not work in Owncloud.

The above 2 were the priorities. After that file sharing, photo sharing etc are not that important.

It seems the only way forward is to continue to use Apple's offerings, switch to Google or get back to old fashioned methods of talking!

It seems a shame that the open source community hasn't developed a solution.