Re: [LUG] Inet address

On 14/05/13 11:34, Martijn Grooten wrote:
It sounds normal.

Two things are important in this context. Firstly, there are three
blocks of private networks. Everything starting with 192.168.,
everything starting with 10. and everything between 172.16. and
172.31. (inclusive) belongs to a private network. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

So the VM you checked has got a local IP address.

Secondly, given your question, I assume machines on your local network
have an IP address starting with 192.168. So you rightly wonder why
the VM is on a different range. This has likely to do with the way the
network on the VM is set up. There are various options for this, but
the two most commonly used (I'm guessing here) are NAT and Bridged.

Ah, I see that Grant has already started to explain this. Well, what
he says. It looks like you were using NAT and expecting Bridged.

Martijn.

Thanks. I followed Grant's advice and changed the network to Bridged. Then I ran ifconfig again and now have an inet address starting with 192.168 as expected.

My reason for asking is that I am starting to play with openssh. This worked when I tried to log on to a second computer. However, when I tried to connect to the VBox distro it did not work. Hence the query.

So I will try again,

thanks again

Neil