[LUG] Feel my pain

Was expecting to help my Dad's friend migrate to Gmail today, but as
you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Firstly Outlook 2000 is unsupported by Google Outlook exporter.

Then he whips out a new purchase he's made. An Acer laptop with
Windows 8. Nightmare.

Yes, I experience first hand the disaster that is Windows 8.
Registration was a pain. Metro interface was boggling to a Windows
user, let alone me. Incredibly slow setup and then welcome to
Acer/McAffee nagware. I can't believe they still do that crap.

Then he wanted to move his old documents across. I suggested Google
drive. Turns out Google drive can't read Microsoft Works documents.
Er, neither can Office365 after we bothered to "Try it".

Now he wants to try install WindowsXP (old OEM version from his
previous computer) and Office 2000 on the new laptop. And that point I
made my excuses and left.

Really sad how Microsoft treats users like that, with no sane upgrade
path. PC manufacturers like Acer have left UX at the door.