Re: [LUG] Avatars and advertising

On 29 April 2013 00:44, Ray Smith <rjsmith@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Good, I'm glad you like immigrants.
A friend of mine comes from one of the African countries where they make
kids as young as 10 carry a gun and shoot people.
His family came to the UK to get away from that after he was tortured for
refusing.
I've seen his back, it's covered in scars.
People really need to *think* about why some families come to Britain
instead of just blindly assuming they're scroungers after a handout.
Incidentally, his whole family refused to have money from the state once
they were granted residency. The father took every menial job he could find
to support them and make sure no one could accuse them of living off
benefits as a reason to deport them.

I haven't yet met an immigrant who wasn't hard working.

I did some IT work for a large farm veg packing plant in Cornwall where they had so many migrant workers that they employed an HR lady who could speak a bunch of eastern European languages to make life easier.

I meet a lot of non-UK nationals working long hours in shops and as cleaners.

Why are they taking these jobs than many people would consider demeaning?

To my mind, because they value the concept of working for your keep... a trait that I fear seems to be diminishing at an ever growing pace.

Grant.