Re: [LUG] www.dcglug.org.uk

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, Daniel Robinson wrote:

* I see some people on the list like to encrypt their emails, I sure wish I
was, why do we not have detailed security tutorials on PGP, Backup,
Mirroring, Details on router settings, secure wifi setups, etc etc etc...

The emails that are posted to the list aren't encrypted, they're cryptographically signed.

What this means is that there's a fancy checksum attached to the message - which does 2 things - when you run the plain-text message through the checked. Firstly it tells you that the message hasn't been changed since it left the sender, and secondly, if you have the right keys, it lets you confirm that the sender is who they say they are.

See also: http://xkcd.com/1181/

Gordon
(currently displaced by 4000+ miles )-: