Re: [LUG] Global variables in Python?

I would use Perl but for 2 thing (which are related):
1) Way too many {}; for my liking
2) I don't like Perl. :D

Ahh, language wars!

2) is as good a reason as any!

I use perl because;

3) It's the language I taught myself when I had a need for cgi and scripting. So far it's been remarkably useful, far more than C was when I taught myself that in the 90's.

I've long had a theory that the world only needs 5 programming languages.

1) One low level.  (ASM)
2) One medium-high level compiled language (C/C++)
3) One Serverside cgi non-compiled language. (Perl!)
4) One Clientside cgi non-compiled language. (PHP - why not? And throw in HTML while you're at it. Extend it to include the functionality _javascript_/ajax has been used for)
5) One local scriptable language. (Perl again, Bash, whatever)

Of course there's some crossover between them all now, C can go quite low level. PHP, Python, Perl and others can be used for local, serverside cgi and be compiled using dark magic, but I think it hangs together well. The benefits are enormous!