Re: [LUG] www.dcglug.org.uk

>> * I see some people on the list like to encrypt their emails, I sure wish I
>> was, why do we not have detailed security tutorials on PGP, Backup,
>> Mirroring, Details on router settings, secure wifi setups, etc etc etc...

>Mostly because reinventing the wheel is a fools task - there are
>literally millions of perfectly good howtos and tutorials already out
>there on the internet for everything you have mentioned and countless
>other tasks as well. They are a simple search away. <---- very helpful thank you

Regards

Please, as a Lug with a web site and an active community, can we come together as a group and create some sort of agreed way to send emails so that they are encrypted as a group. Lets discuss this as aÂseparateÂmail or why not create a forum topic for it, hell why not create a poll for us to look at to agree or disagree to add such a topic to the forum.
* I want to see forums,

This has been debated repeatedly over the years. I doubt it is going to happen any time soon as there would be quite a split between the activity of the mailing list and the fora.
I think forums would be highly useful if we also use polls, for example, on the mailing list a member raises that they would like a forum topic added, the topic is discussed and then perhaps a poll is created, people can read what the topic is about and then as a collective decide if the topic is a good topic to discuss and come to aÂutilitarianÂdecision on what is theÂabsoluteÂbest route to take is. This would then create a great source of knowledge discussed by brilliant people like yourselves and sharedÂamongstÂthe other members of the community, written down to a step by step howto for the absolute beginner. WHY NOT!

>Not really sure what the problem is here. We have had some heated discussion about our IRC lately. The outcome is that we are now using freenode#DCGLUG.
I cant find details of either IRC chat on the website, i literally have to google search for them. I want both DCLUG & DCGLUG clearly listed on the website.

I hand this topic back to the communityÂ

V.C

On 27 April 2013 21:16, Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27 April 2013 21:08, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/04/13 20:45, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> * I see some people on the list like to encrypt their emails, I sure wish I
> was, why do we not have detailed security tutorials on PGP, Backup,
> Mirroring, Details on router settings, secure wifi setups, etc etc etc...

Mostly because reinventing the wheel is a fools task - there are
literally millions of perfectly good howtos and tutorials already out
there on the internet for everything you have mentioned and countless
other tasks as well. They are a simple search away.

Regards

Although I would ordinarily agree with you, that argument can potentially be expanded to encompass the very existence of DCGLUG - apart from internal politics and arranging meetings IRL, surely everything else has been discussed or explained *somewhere* else? Why are we here?

Maybe a half-way point would be a good idea - some links to good tutorials rather than re-writing it all for the sake of it.

Grant.