Re: [LUG] UEFI _ a problem in Linux

On 18/04/13 18:37, bad apple wrote:
The choice of distro will count though - I just installed win7/Mint 14 on a box the other day and the installer is so simplified it's almost brain dead, with very little in the way of advanced configuration: the partitioning step was particularly bad. No support for full disk encryption, awful and lacking manual partitioning options, I don't even remember seeing options for things like LVM. It wouldn't let me specify new disk labels either. Very, very poor, although once it was up and running, Mint seemed quite nice.

I think this comes from Ubuntu, IIRC the Ubuntu Alternative (text based) installer used to allow more advanced options such as disk encryption, RAID, LVM etc but they dropped it, so the Mint guys have done the same.

However for Mint Debian Edition the installer gives a little more control (I can't remember exactly what options were available, but you had the choice of doing it yourself if you wished... mainly involved opening a terminal and doing things yourself and then mounting the correct locations so the installed could copy everything into place).

Rob