Re: [LUG] Samba should I be concerned ?

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013, Kevin Lucas wrote:

I have set up a Fedora18 linux PC with samba it s Domestic and on cable
with just ssh open on the router

I did a smbtree to check the samba and got this?

resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.122.1 ( 192.168.122.1 )

I presume 192.168.122.0/24 is your LAN?

resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name VIRT-THUNDERBIR<0x20>
Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 445
Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 139
        \\FEDORA18                      Samba Server Version 4.0.4
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS servers
listed.
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 445
Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 139

whois for 81.200.64.50

seems to be Skype!

Skye - not Skype.

Am I concerned?

I don't know. You'll have to ask yourself that.

I think that IP address is one of virgin medias DNS servers - and it looks like they've subbed it out to some outfit: possibly this one:

http://www.nominum.com/company/news-center/press-releases/nominum-announces-skye-network-protection-service-version-21/

So your server is doing a DNS lookup and it's hitting that server by the looks of it.

Gordon