Re: [LUG] File, media Server Laptop

Obviously with laptop the main issue is internal space. The only ones with space for 2x 2.5" hdd's have been big gaming laptops which certainly aren't power friendly.

Many 2.5" external hdd's will run from usb power only. Not sure about sizes, but would give portability.

Alternatively, a NAS.The Readynas duo uses 12vdc input, avoiding the need for a transformer and associated losses. Low power use (27-35 watts, depending on disks) and quiet, and could be hidden somewhere semi-securely out of sight. You could build a linux nas out of spare parts, but you will struggle to be as efficient as this.

Readynas provide various types of compatibility, samba shares, nfs, rsync backups. The gui interface is a bit bling for my tastes, but it's a solid enough performer. (We have two)