Re: [LUG] Fwd: Question for the LUG [Now sort of OT]

 On 04/04/2013 16:51, bad apple wrote:
On 04/04/13 00:56, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 29/03/2013 23:08, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 29/03/2013 17:12, Julian Hall wrote:
  Hi All,

I had the below query from a friend.  Sounds odd to me.  Is there
any reason Linux boot CDs wouldn't work while Windows ones will?

Cheers,

Julian
Thanks for the advice everyone :)  I've distilled the main points
into an email to him and I'll let you know how we get on.

Julian

Hi All,

Just to close the book on this one.  It turns out that data retention
wasn't an issue which made things a lot easier.  This is for anyone
who only has access to Windows, hence the OT amendment to the subject.

All that was required was a.n.other disk partition manager to remove
all the partitions currently on the system.  Windows XP will not even
see the drive so must be done in Windows 7.  I used AOMEI Partition
Assistant Home Edition, but any partition software will do.

Once all partitions are gone, close the partitioning software as it's
unlikely to have the 'Convert GPT to MBR' option enabled unless you've
paid for it.. anyway you don't need it.

Then basically follow the instructions here -
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

In short Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management -
Disk Management

Right click the (now entirely unallocated) disk and choose Convert to
MBR disk.

(If you've read the webpage and are wondering why I didn't follow step
5 and used disk partition software instead, that's the first thing I
tried.. Windows wouldn't let me remove all the partitions.. so I did
it this way.. YMMW on that :))

Cheers,

Julian

Just so you know, the Windows RE (Recovery Environment) media can do
this via the diskpart command (you'll probably also need bcdedit and
friends to finish the job). Fdisk doesn't support GPT partitions,
although it can recognise and often read them, but parted does just fine
- the gparted live media would be my recommendation for all your disk
editing and partitioning needs outside of the weird world of custom Unix
systems disk management (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and so on all have rather
'exotic' schemes compared to simple Linux/Windows on x86). Macs have
been all GPT for years although Hackintoshes are MBR-based.

Once all partitions are gone, close the partitioning software as it's
unlikely to have the 'Convert GPT to MBR' option enabled unless you've
paid for it.. anyway you don't need it.

People pay for partitioning software?!

Regards
Thanks for that, and yes apparently so.. Pro versions have greater functionality (on Windows anyway). I just got the free Home version as I only needed it for this one job.

Julian