Re: [LUG] OT: Freeview interference

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:37:22 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>~10m cable run to wallplate.

This is often a weak link.  As you go on to say, your source recommends
replacement with a good quality modern counterpart.

>Anyone experienced similar and sorted it with terrestrial Digital? I'm

We get all sorts of crap here.  Mostly due to poor signal strength and
atmospheric conditions.  So far, I've spent a fair amount of time and
effort trying to eradicate the problems.  I've had a reasonable amount
of success, but there's still some way to go.

>a) Antenna (being in roof)

It does gut signal strength, certainly.  Slate is worse than tiles, IIRC.

>d) Cables
>Which would folk address first?

replace cabling first, it's often the cheapest option, and can give good
results.  Get a decent double screened cable though.  The old stuff that
was suitable for analogue is rubbish by comparison.

>Is their a diplomatic way to ask to borrow your neighbour's petrol
>driven lawn mower for testing? Or a good way of impersonating a noisy
>petrol engine. As it is one of the few predictable ways of generating

A good candidate for EMI, since most people don't care about fitting
noise suppression plug caps on their lawn mower.

>The galvanised wallplate has an earthing point on it, but no earth is
>attached. I imagine this is not an uncommon state of affairs. I can't
>see it should matter, and I don't have a convenient real earth. Is this
>a problem?

No.  That earthing point is for attaching to the earth in twin&earth
mains cable, to provide a safe path to ground should the line come into
contact with it.  For low or unpowered outlets it's pretty much
redundant.

>Aerial - I think I'd go with Freesat before trying to move this outside
>or replace it, since the price difference is going to be negligible.

If you do replace the aerial, I urge you to find out what band your
transmitter transmits on and what polarity, and get the correct type of
aerial for your area and mount it accordingly.  Wideband aerials have
lower gain, so any poor signal problems will be increased.

Having said all the above, I tend to agree with Simon Avery - It might
be a lot less hassle to go the freesat route.  We are just about
reaching that point where I live.

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy