Re: [LUG] Raspbery Pi still not working...

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

Hi, I have posted about this here before and was given the advise to get a HDMI to DVI cable so that my Pi will work on my monitor but I have bought two (just in case one was faulty) of these leads but the devise still wont display on my monitor. Like I said I have no problems when it is connected to the TV but just fails completely to make anything display on my 'acer' monitor. I am sure it's not a problem with the monitor so any ideas ?

So. Make sure the monitor is turned on and everything is plugged in BEFORE you turn on the Pi.

Watch the green "OK" led on the Pi as you turn in on. You should see a brief flicker, then a few more flashes for up to about 15-30 seconds after than then it will be mostly off with the occasional flicker.

This is the equivalent of the HDD LED on a normal PC.

If it start to flash a regular pattern, then something is wrong... You may need to re-image your SD card.

However, asuming that's all OK...

When the Pi boots, it can sense the HDMI port - and if it thinks nothing is connected then it will not use it.

This is why everything needs to be turned on & plugged in before you turn the Pi on.

As for the monitor - yes, most monitors will have a menu that lets you select their inputs - DVI or VGA in your case. That's the same with mine, although I have a one-button switch on this front. So DO go through the menus and see if you can select DVI first.

Then, after all that - can you ping it? Can you ssh into it? Ssh is enabled by default in Raspbian, so you ought to be able to ssh in.

The final thing is to edit /boot/config.txt - and you can do this from a Win PC if needed - assuming you can read the SD card - partition 1 is FAT32 formatted.

Add in these lines:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2

save, and try again.