Re: [LUG] Issue with newish Samsung laptops and Ubuntu

On 01/02/13 01:52, bad apple wrote:
On 31/01/13 19:35, Rob Beard wrote:
Hey folks,

Not sure if anyone has seen this on The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/31/ubuntu_uefi_bricking_samsung_laptops/

Looks like there is an issue with Ubuntu on some new Samsung laptops
which have UEFI.  My work laptop is a Samsung, although I'm using Mint
13 on it (not sure if Mint 14 is affected or not).  So if you have a
new Samsung laptop and you want to bung Ubuntu on it, or maybe other
newish distros too then it could be worth bearing in mind just in case.

Rob

To be fair, the blame here lies entirely with Samsung, not Ubuntu. It
should be impossible with any sanely programmed UEFI implementation to
*literally* brick a machine, in the proper sense (i.e., physically
written off, not possible to firmware re-flash, must go back to factory
for repairs).

In case anyone is wondering, this doesn't have anything to do with the
infamous Microsoft-mandated secure boot UEFI stuff. It's just Samsung
engineers being incompetent.

Regards

It seems the kernel has been fixed to prevent this problem already ... and I did read a report from someone with a samsung who seemed to thing there may not have even been a problem in the first place https://plus.google.com/111049168280159033135/posts (some way down...
Tom te tom te tom