[LUG] Debian Wheezy odd behaviour with USB devices

USB drive is /dev/sdc, and mounted using the UUID as /Elements.

Inserted USB caddy which I use to use a few months back with a new disk
(unformatted) - the old disk took a jolt too much.

At this point /Elements is unusable (IO errors).

On investigation I find that the disk that was sdc is now sdd.

Disconnect the new drive, wait a bit, insert again, and my /Elements
data is now on /dev/sde. (umount /Elements ; mount /Elements and working
again).

So I assume it is inserting the new drive with the lowest free label
(sdc?), and shifting the others up one, breaking mounted filesystems in
the process. (I killed of GNOME and it does the same, I killed of udev
and it does the same).

Now given I just switched to mounting this drive with UUID, I don't much
care what it is called, but I do care that it doesn't break a mounted
file system simply because I plugged another USB drive in.

Obvious unclear if this is some history of my server, as I can't believe
it is the default behaviour. Someone have a clean install of Wheezy and
a couple of USB drives to try it on?

I see a load of questions on related topics in the forums, but nothing
quite the same as I am seeing. I mean I know (well think I know) how to
write a udev rule to fix them to whatever I want, but if this is the
default behaviour after upgrading to Wheezy the nice folks at Debian
will probably want to know. Possibly there is a package (usbmount or
similar) to address this which isn't installed by default on upgrade.

That said not had similar issues before, so it is possible there is some
legacy reference in the system to the USB caddy - if so any idea where
will it be, nothing in /etc/udev looked plausible?

 Simon