Re: [LUG] What's with the prominent advertising of "aboutdebian.com"?

On 08/01/13 06:08, Kai Hendry wrote:
> http://r2d2.webconverger.org/2013-01-08/dcglug.png

I found the site and felt that it would be useful,  it seems an
excellent resource. a few reasons to perhaps justify this:-

1. We are a Linux user group so why not
2. Debian is  free "as in freedom" distribution"
3. the site is newbie friendly
4.  The raspberry Pi uses debian so in a way its helpful to those users
5.  There are people on the list,  who are 90% of the way to dumping
windows,  the factor stopping is usually either

1. they need a specific piece of software that only runs on Windows
1a Yes there free versions of everything but talking to wilda4rd on
#dclug, he uses autocad and there is nothing that comes close,  to HIS
needs.

b Something doesn't work,  such as a piece of hardware and requires some
extra steps to make it work,  sure this site can;t help but it may be
easier to get it working on debian.

I stopped using debian as I needed to open docx files, my 2nd pc had
ubuntu on which the latest open office had support for .docx,  sure Its
possible to install the latest open/libreoffice on debian,

Before !! you say ask for the document in .doc format,  EMPLOYERS WILL
NOT DO THIS,  they send it out in a specific format,  which is what ever
their system uses,  if an applicant can't fill it in,  there are plenty
of people who can fill it in.  This process is not the time to argue
with a potential employer with regard to open standards and software
freedom.

6 Part the reason they are having issues seems sometimes to be they are
using Ubuntu or some other "helpful" system that does things for them,
then in being helpful it is actually being less helpful,
Ubuntu = easy to set up,  but harder to tell to do what YOU want,
Debian = slightly more complex to set up BUT you get more control.

No good just telling someone to USE debian,  unless YOU are prepared to
help.

7.  The site covers the basics of getting s system up and running,  if
new users follow that website and ask questions THEN as the lug
questions we can go and look at what they have followed and help for
their specific situation

If you want me to grab a Ubuntu banner and use instead I can do,  and we
can sort of dumb down things at the same time.

Lets encourage people to use Debian, perhaps their user experience will
be better and given most of the techy users here use debian and
therefore can help more with issues.

Finally we were all new users once,  please before you start saying
things are easy look at it from a new users viewpoint coming from
windows or mac.

Hope this covers some reasoning which to me at least seem reasonable.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding chidlren, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.