Re: [LUG] are MS dumping .net

> MS are not I think a technology company, nor one aiming for
> improvement in technology.  They are a sales company, and thus if they
> can get their competitors to chase them - into .Net or whatever - they
> maintain their sales advantage.  Hence their steady precession through
> ways of doing things, soaking up the ingenuity which might otherwise
> challenge them.

I don't think it's remotely fair to say they're not a technology
company. Like them or not, they are massively influential in the
industry, more so than any other company ever (?).  You might argue
sales are more important to them, but if you follow that logic then
there are no pure technology companies - or at least, not for very
long.

The problem is, I don't think MS themselves know who they are right
now or what they're doing. I certainly haven't a clue. Watching MS
over the past couple of years is like watching an irritable neighbour
you don't like very much repeatedly poke themselves with a fork whilst
walking into the walls. Part of you wants to intervene, but mostly you
want to watch the show and see what happens next.