Re: [LUG] Assigning Static IP addresses on Mint 12

On 24/12/12 17:36, Martin Gautier wrote:
Roly

Assigning a static IP for each device can be problematic unless you keep on top of all your devices and make sure that the information passed to a client host by DHCP is replicated and accurate.

One important piece of information that DHCP supplies is the DNS to use. If you haven't explicitly set this, it might explain why you are having trouble connected through to the Internet.

Yep! that was definitely it!

Can I suggest an alternative solution to the root problem of having the printer stick with the same IP address so it doesn't get lost on the network...

With your router set to full DHCP and the printer switch on, take a look at the "attached devices". You should see a list of IPs and device names. Most routers have the ability to reserve the IPs listed here for particular devices. Find the printer, and reserve it's IP. This way, DHCP fully handles all your devices so any device can attach at any time, get all the info it needs to route through to the internet and the printer keeps the same IP even if the router or printer gets switched off at any point.

Regs
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply. My lack of (basic!) networking knowledge about the router acting as a DNS relay was the the problem. I added the routers IP address for the DNS server and boom! it started working.

Later tonight, if time permits, I will have a look at what you suggested re the printer (above)....

Many thanks
roly :-)