Re: [LUG] Assigning Static IP addresses on Mint 12

On 24 Dec, 2012, at 5:20 pm, Roland Tarver wrote:

Even though Mint is based on ubuntu (debian), apparently it assigns static IPs differently - via the graphical (grumble) nm-connection- editor. Which, to my mind, adds un-necessary gui fluff around a perfectly good cli method. But hey, what do i know.....

So, I have used nm-connection-editor to set up a manual connection for my netbook, with the following details:-

IP address : 192.168.1.2
Net Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1   (address of my router??!)

I know virtually nothing about networking, does the net mask and gateway IP addresses seem correct please?

Looks good, the only worrying thing is those question marks. Are you in doubt about your router's IP address? Or whether 'gateway' means 'router'? (It does; for home LANs, the two terms almost always refer to the same device).

Otherwise, yes, this is what I have, and my setup is pretty much exactly what you say you want: static IP address for each host/device on my home LAN, DHCP still enabled but starting at 192.168.1.16 (we programmers obsess over powers of two). My parents arrived today and their Windoze lappy is now on 192.168.1.17 over WiFi.

I'd just stress that I do indeed have fixed IP for my Android phone, as well as a router, NAS box (commercial linux), repeater WAP (FLOSS flash), Intel Mac lappy, PowerPC linux lappy, and two x86_64 linux mini-towers.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63