Re: [LUG] One straw too many for some?

On 04/12/12 11:34, paul sutton wrote:
On 04/12/12 10:43, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I hope so.

Ray Knowles.

Do most people even know alternatives exist,  do they know how to get /
train staff for to use Linux based systems.

Paul

As you know Paul I work in a public sector IT department where they DO know that linux exists ... we are about to shed 4 more staff across the department in order to meet budget and it is likely that we will have to make the same sort of cut the next year and possibly the year after that ....

YET.....

Every recommendation on a change of strategy ... change in procurement procedures or even following government recommendations on open standards and open software adoption are STILL falling on deaf ears....

The fact of the matter is that the cocaine addition to Microsoft and proprietary software will never end while the junkies still want their fix ......... They sadly lack the ability to adapt ....

Casualties of a 165K cut that may have been totally avoided and definitely partially avoided if someone had been prepared to bite the bullet and seriously look at a strategy for open source adoption laid out nearly 3 years ago .....

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/infoservices1314.doc

My heart goes out to the 4 (yet to be decided) ..... I know my job is safe (for now) ... but it doesn't make me feel any better....