Re: [LUG] merlin - school IT services

On 03/12/12 14:13, paul sutton wrote:
Hi

This is what we are up against in schools

*http://www.swgflmerlin.org.uk/Merlin/Merlin-2013/Content/Changes-to-SWGfL-Merlin-Information-for-schools**

*We need to look at what is on office and how OSS can replace this

1. Office 365 - can libreoffice do stuff via the web ? Is there a web
version,  perhaps google docs is the alternative here.

I think there is a web version in the pipeline, but not sure if it's OOo or LibreOffice. Been a while since I've seen anything about it. Not so sure about things like Office 365 myself, I mean it's on the web which can be handy... but, with no Internet access for any reason means no web services.

Maybe not so much of an issue in an inner city (unless maybe a digger goes through some fibre) but potentially maybe more of an issue in the countryside?

2. E-mail (lots of options)

Yep, depends if you want web based or a desktop app? Still on the server side the e-mail could be IMAP :-)

3. Collborative tools

I'm guessing you mean Sharepoint?

Maybe an obvious option would be a Wiki, other than that, not really looked into alternatives much.

4. cloud integration

Hmmm... which cloud service?  Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure?  Dropbox?

There is also

http://www.swgfl.org.uk/j2e

Again we need to look in to what OSS solutions can be found / implemented

I'll have a look at that one later. Problem is, are schools tied into this stuff with long contracts?

At the business course I was at today one of the guys there mentioned that schools converting to academies tend to have more control over their budgets. Not sure if this could be a positive thing or not? I suppose it might depend if the schools are prepared to look at the alternatives or go down the lazy route of going to SWGFL or RM?

Who is going to support the alternatives? (yes I know there's been some discussion off list).

Just thought I would post.  Responses may be useful to the project up in
exwick too.

Possibly.  But there we don't want to overcomplicate things.

Rob