Re: [LUG] While we are astronmying

On 28/11/12 07:46, tom wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of getting a 12" reflector - I have noticed a lot of difference in the databases on the controllers for scopes and was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to upgrade the DB's etc on these things. Also I imagine they can follow stars but how easy are they to program to follow comets etc for the purposes of long exposure pictures.
and also ccd's  for one....
Tom te tom te tom

My Grandfather spent most of his adult life making the mirrors for various telescopes. He would spend hours grinding and polishing them by hand - which is kinda cool in my book. lol.

Unfortunately he was a little old school and never used ccd nor star tracking technology. His biggest scope is still in use by the North Devon Astronomy society, in the observatory which bears his name.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/brianandkaren/astronomy/visits/visits.htm

I could not find the group web site. Looks like their domain has expired.

Perhaps does not answer your question Tom, but could not resist the comment in any case. lol.

Cheers roly :-)