Re: [LUG] I've had it with Ubuntu

On Nov 7, 2012 10:36 AM, "Peter Lloyd-Jones" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am also thinking that Ubuntu is becoming more Windows like.  Bloated and difficult to change stuff.  For instance JMRI was just plug and play, now with the latest version one must jump through hoops to get it to work.
>
> I would consider Debian as a replacement (have it running on one machine) but am a little worried about its support for 3rd party stuff.
>
> I look forward to following this thread.
>
> Peter L-J
>
> JMRI  http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

I have found that, for the most part, Debian works quite well with stuff that's meant for Ubuntu. I do occasionally come across the odd problem, but adding PPAs it's now supported and I occasionally have to edit the sources.list file to use the Ubuntu names instead... but one that's done things seem to work ok (most of the time).

Obviously I wouldn't advocate just adding any ol' PPA - if you're gonna do that you might as well stick with setup.exes. :p

Grant