Re: [LUG] Qubes

Y'know, I think the bigger picture is being missed here - which is the
far more common-or-garden user and good old human nature.

Not only ignorant of the basics, but unwilling to address them and any
arguement is pretty much pointless, nor might they notice if they did
have issues. I quote the following from this morning, in the cornwall
Facebook geocaching group;

"What's going on? getting a malware warning when trying to visit this
cache GC3CARY. Is it safe to proceed, it says geocaching.com contains
malware content from a certain site, but I've never got it come up on
any other cache."

Emilie: I get that if I use Firefox... so use I.E. instead.
Chris: Ever seen a terminator movie? Google IS Skynet, the end
Joe: Nice hat!
Me: CACHEOWNERS have put their background image on a server which
hosts, or has hosted, malicious code. In this case the single jpg is
probably harmless, but it's quite bad advice to use IE instead of FF
if FF is giving you warnings - especially on suspect sites, IE is not
a very safe browser.
Emilie: I use Avast security & have never had a problem. I prefer the
layout in I.E. & am not afraid to admit it

This highlights the need for ease. "Something gets in the way of using
my computer the way I want to? Work around it". That is a basic human
trait, and if good security gets "in the way", a percentage of people
will bypass it. No point wringing your hands or berating them, it
won't change things, only building software and low level tools that
prevent the attack vectors completely, whilst not making it harder to
use, will make any big impact on this problem.

....And then the bad guys will think up a new attack vector and the
arms race starts over...