Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

Keith, I think the /. article misses the point. Sure X% of android apps can access
contacts or the Internet or access devices, but unless you have SElinux AND a policy
which prevents it, it is likely the answer for your Linux distro is 100% of apps
have the same level of access. So say any rogue or compromised Debian developer, or
third party deb, or third party repository might access anything, change anything.
Sure Debian have procedures, but we know DDs have inadvertently done stupid things
which made testing, and most distros have released horrendous upstream messes (Xorg
screenlock bypass springs first to mind).

I agree spying from proprietary apps is a problem for Android but at least you have
choice when installing. It could be more fine grained I hate the "free reign of the
Internet" most network related apps request. Free software has fewer problems of
this sort.