Re: [LUG] Ornance Survey preventing Linux users from using Getamap

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:49:49 +0000
Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

>As far as I am aware the government has "standing orders" to use open
>standards and open data formats where ever possible. It could be argued

The OS is an executive agency, meaning that they are treated as separate
from the government both managerially and budget-wise.  As such, I expect
it would be difficult, if not impossible to force the OS to use
particular software, as there is no way the government can encourage
(read: make) the OS adopt the Open Source where possible policy.

Note;  That doesn't mean I think to OS _should_ use Silverlight, because
I don't.  I'd far rather they used something else, enabling Linux users
to use the OS web site more fully.

--
 Regards  _
You suck my blood like a leech