Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade

On Thursday 25 Oct 2012 17:56:45 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> A little while ago I ran a thread about VBox. One of the list members
> told me in no uncertain terms that I should upgrade from my current
> distro which is Mint 10 KDE, based on Maverick.
>
> That was the reason for using VBox, to check out possible replacement
> distros. Meanwhile I think that it would be sensible to get an external
> disk drive to keep a copy of my current home folder so that I won't lose
> anything. I am not worried about emails as I use IMAP so I will not lose
> anything there.
>
> I won't need a drive any larger than 500mb, in fact even that would be a
> bit OTT for me. Does anyone have any recommendations please? I have been
> looking around Amazon etc and am now completely bewildered by it all.
>
> As for which distro to choose as the new one...!!! I have got it down to
> four possibles, but for every good review there is one not so good.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Neil
Hi Neil.
While you are looking at other distro's may I recomend Mageia. We forked from
Mandriva just over 2 years ago and have been in the top 5 of distro watch
almost ever since, so we must be doing something write. Version 2 was released
earlier this year and we are working on version 3 (beta iso release in a few
weeks).
Its an rpm based distro with an exelent group of gui tools for adminsitering
your pc (the "Mageia Control Centre"). Updates come thick and fast
especiallysecurity updates. The range of aplications is quite large and
growing as we get more volenteers to help out in our packaging department.
There are friendly forums and irc chanels and we won't kick you for talking
off topic, unlike some Ubuntu irc channels I experienced a few years ago.
I must admit I'm probably a bit biased as I volenteer for QA and the Doc
departments.
There are live cd's to try out and a dualarchive cd plus install dvd's. The
standard kde / gnome are available, plus lots of other dm's. The url:

http://www.mageia.org/en/

Regards
John (Led43_xxx)
--
Registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions and
he was going to blow them up !