Re: [LUG] Python Question

On 23/10/12 12:43, Adam Latham wrote:
> Wow.
>
> Didn't realise that Open source software and questions about it were that
> offensive.
>
> As a predominantly Linux user, I figured my colleagues in the open source
> community might like to contribute to the shared knowledge for the benefit of the
> next generation of computer users.
>
> I'm now told they'll be running the 3.3 from the official Python repo, does that
> make it less offensive?
>
> Thanks at least to the previous poster (Robin) for confirming what my paranoia was
> leading me to.
>
> And we wonder why cultural imperialism prevents the mass uptake of open source
> software...
>
> I'll take my questions elsewhere, I think.

I have no problem with this,  in fact any answer could be useful.  I am
however due to running this programming group aware of the lock down and
constraints attached to what should be a simple process.   Hence I am
running python on a mix of windows and Linux netbooks, we then use the
macs to display PDF manuals or websites when we want to fix problems.

The macs are locked down,  we have scratch installed and can save work
to a media sharepoint on the server,  so I guess your users need to save
their programs in their own user space,  I assume if python is in the
path then it should just run.

But yeah,  there is always the danger someone could run a dodgy script,
however surely you can work out which user was logged in at the time and
take action accordingly,

Paul