Re: [LUG] Home server

 On 05/10/2012 20:22, bad apple wrote:
On 05/10/12 19:28, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have noticed that several of the list members mention that they have a
server set up at home. Can anyone tell me what that is all about please
and why anyone would want/need to have one?

Just wondering.

Neil

Is this really a linux mailing list?
Yes.
Is this really a serious question?
Yes.. Neil isn't given to frivolous inquiries.
The mind boggles.
Not really. Ignorance is not a lack of knowledge, it is a lack of interest in knowledge, so as far as I am concerned asking questions demonstrates a desire to avoid ignorance, so whatever the question (unless an obvious troll) I think it deserves a sensible answer.

Personally I don't use a server at home - unless you count my NAS box, the purpose of which is obviously to share files on my network. Purposes for a home based server I can think of are:

POP/SMTP Mail server to administer domain mail

Many NASs/routers also enable the following:
DLNA server to distribute media
iTunes servers
FTP servers - to share files held locally with remote parties
A Web server to try out server side scripts.

I'm sure I've forgotten some :)

Kind regards,

Julian