Re: [LUG] Buffalo HDD

On 02/10/12 16:17, Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 02/10/12 15:20, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
>> I am still having problems. Got it to recognise Exfat. Then with some
>> difficulty and length of time I have managed to copy the contents (or
>> at least any useful or wanted files) to on 2 internal hard discs,
>> each one had to be booted up separately to accept exfat, but it then
>> seemed quite easy to re format the drive through disc utility BUT it
>> says error as the drive is in "use". It will not demount without it
>> disappearing and immediately remounting - or unplugging it and again
>> sying it is in "use". So I then tried to do it through a terminal and
>> fdisk. I eventually get through to finding the right name for the
>> disc (disk) and summoning fdisk. Now the message "fdisk: unable to
>> open /dev/sdc1: Permission denied". I suspect because it is in use
>> but I don't know. I have looked all over the internet via google and
>> it is not a great deal of help. One site said that when I do fdisk -h
>> the disk should no longer appear but I don't know how to remove it
>> from the list so that I can format it.
>>
>> Lastly the fdisk should clean it but will it then be in a format that
>> will take the msp3 and 4's, that are transferred to it that can be
>> accessed by all? Hope you can help again
> Peter
>
> Using Disk Utility in Ubuntu, the select drive is displayed in two
> sections on the right, Disk and Volume.
>
> Use the Unmount Volume option in the Volume section to unmount the
> drive but leave it visible in Disk Utility. Then click Format Volume
> and choose something universally (ie Windows) readable like FAT32.
>
> The device name in the Volume section is the device name to use with
> the CLI but you should be able to do everything with Disk Utility.
>
> Martin

Disk utility is retarded, don't use it if you value your sanity. The
default mount/unmount behaviours in most modern operating systems is
also retarded, but that's another story. If you're comfortable enough to
do everything at the terminal, these problems go away but it doesn't
seem like you are - short of re-writing HAL automount rules you are
doomed to be frustrated by your OS being stupid. The following should
help make most of the pain go away:

sudo apt-get install gparted
gksudo gparted &

Just do all of your disk/partition editing in the gparted GUI, it will
save you a lot of frustration until you learn bash properly (not that
you should have to, but welcome to 2012 where operating systems seem to
be going backwards).

Regards