Re: [LUG] Termulators

On 29 Sep, 2012, at 11:09 am, Roland Tarver wrote:

On 09/26/2012 01:09 PM, Philip Hudson wrote:
Anyone recommend an incredible, beats-them-all terminal emulator? I'm under LXDE and finding both LXTerminal and rxvt-unicode too limited.

I have used Guake and screen very well together for a couple of years now. To get to a terminal just hit F12 and one will drop down, over-laying any current windows. Hit F12 again to get rid. Simples.

Guake can run multiple terminals too - I never need this many, since I'm running a screen in the first Guake terminal. So if you did not fancy using screen, you can just use Guake alone.

The other useful thing about this combination is that if you want to take your screen to a different tty then you can just detach and reattach the screen wherever you like. Recently I logged off from a graphical environment - fancied using LXDE rather than enlightenment for a bit and was able to persist with the screen i was currently using.

I think screen also supports screen splitting and other funky stuff - but i never use that...

Hope that's useful.

Cheers roly :-)

Thanks Roly, will give it a spin.

I'm a long-time screen user too. I even use some of the funky stuff like the paste buffer (integrated with the system clipboard under X11 or on OS X) and the "at" and "stuff" commands. My hardstatus lines up vertically with my shell prompts and constantly updates the time and all kinds of funky stuff.

Thinking about moving to tmux. Just inertia to overcome.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63