Re: [LUG] fortune .u8 symlinks

On 23 Sep, 2012, at 3:25 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Philip Hudson wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is of symlinks with the suffix ".u8" pointing to fortune files in the fortunes directory? There's no doco in either man fortune or man strfile, and Duckduckgo only comes up with a recipe, not a reason.

At a guess, I'd suggest utf-8 character set files?

I thought that too, but it seems unlikely, for a couple of reasons:

- The recipe I mentioned says nothing about UTF-8 encoding, just that you should create the link. Might be a shortcoming in the recipe, I suppose -- it wasn't what you'd call an authoritative source.

- It's not obvious how or why you would come up with a scheme like that for distinguishing between UTF-8 and other encodings.

I know: I'll have a look at the source.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63