Re: [LUG] /etc/hosts

On 06/09/12 12:27, paul sutton wrote:
My question is does the /etc/hosts file have to use the same hostname as
the machine its refering to or can this say anything could i replace
E-machine with desktop for example within the hosts file.

As Martijn pointed out no, the name can be anything. For example we have a network of servers that we frequently SSH in to. There's no way you could remember all the the different IP addresses so instead you use the servers hostname (although it could be anything).