[LUG] python server side stuff

I'm working on a little web project that would use music21 - a python music processing library. I dont thing python server side pages are used much and so not very mature - I've not found it anywhere as easy as PHP to get apache working (CMIIR). Has anyone had any experience of either python server pages or php<->python interfaceing as I'd be quite happy to plunder python when needed.
Tom te tom te tom