Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi's and heatsinks

On 20/07/12 07:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Just noticed someone on IRC overnight saying they killed their Pi by trying to put on an improvised heatsink...

The Pi doesn't need a heatsink. The chips are rated to 70C and that's way hotter than you can touch, so just don't bother even trying.

And unlike other CPUs, overclocking is not limited to heat either.

Read the forums for more information on it, posts from "Dom" and others.

My Pi's run at 900MHz with no heatsink.

If you are going to put fans, etc. in it then this is a start:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/gertfan.jpg

Gordon

That is brilliant!

I was wondering if it was possible to interface some of the Lego motors and stuff to the Pi. I vaguely remember having some of the very basic (Technics I think) Lego kits with motors when I was a kid and I think it would be a great way of getting my eldest interested (she loves Lego).

Rob