Re: [LUG] OT: Charity begins at home

George Parker wrote:
> God bless you Bill and Melinda.  Worth reading to the end.
>
> http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2012/07/the_gates_foundations_leverage.html

Sounds like sour grapes.

If the foundation have investments in multinationals that aren't
supporting their goal, it is probably they have a lot of money to invest,
and need to improve on the diligence. But let's face it if Gates had
invested only in companies in the "FTSE for Good" say, the returns
wouldn't have help his charitable goals much either.

The vaccine finance issue is a big one.

Want a vaccine against Lymes' Disease? You can't buy it because it isn't
economic to produce it. It exists, is licensed in the US, it just isn't
made. Despite plenty of people getting Lymes' disease.

The DOD struggled to get someone to produce a vaccine they use to use to
stop recruits dropping out of their training program with chest
infections. For a while they had a bounty offered to encourage a
manufacture to come back and make the vaccine.

I think the sums are put in perspective when the WHO spends less then $1
billion to get more than 2 billion vaccine doses. It is chicken feed in
terms of International development, we probably spend more on doomed IT
project each year than the cost of 2 billion vaccinations.

We know how to vaccinate against a wider range of diseases than we do.
Vaccines are the single most effective type of medicine.
The vaccine spend is minute compared to the benefits vaccines bring.
So it would appear to be ripe for expansion (scientifically if not
politically).

So Gates is probably right to be focused on the economic disconnect here.
We probably do need to produce economic incentives and guarantees of some
sort to boost the vaccine business. Particularly on diseases affecting
poor people in poor countries, since they are the least attractive markets
with the largest potential benefits in terms of health benefits. If
shuffling a few 10's of million extra of government cash to a few vaccine
makers with the right guarantees in place is sufficient to achieve this,
then they are almost certainly doing the right thing.