Re: [LUG] OT: attaching things to monitors.

On 16/06/12 00:00, Simon Waters wrote:
Whilst reasonably happy with the current webcam I have (I'm not that
beautiful that a better cam would improve people's experience, indeed
maybe a little softening of the image in software might help) I think I
want to attach it to the top of the monitor, as I want to be as close to
looking at the camera as I can be when looking at a fullscreen image -
otherwise you look slightly evasive.

Anyone any tips on attaching to plastic - it is the typical LCD monitor
plastic, top is about an inch thick, then behind that about half inch
lower than the top is plastic with vent holes.

The camera has a table mode (remove the tripod and it can stand up on
its own case) which would work fine if it could be attached flat to the
top of the monitor. But the bit that sits on the table is curved
plastic, so the area of contact would be quite small, and take a fair
bit of work as the camera can be adjusted back and forth slightly in
this position.

Alternatively is it perhaps better psychology to stick the camera
somewhere where it is obvious it is a side view, or off centre view, so
it doesn't look like I'm avoiding eye contact?

Or do I just have to learn to look at the camera, and ignore the image
of the other person, even if it means loosing some visual queues from
the other person?

  Simon

Its just occurred to me that what you want to do is make a reverse telly prompter-type device! The camera should be pointed at an angled glass plate in front of the screen, with a black sheet of card behind where the camera is pointing and the glass arranged so your image is as near eye-on with the other person.
You'll probably find it even more disturbing than 'normal'.
And theres probably a patented iVersion of it for a thousand pounds....
Tom te tom te tom