Re: [LUG] Skype - new version

On 15/06/12 12:12, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Has anyone tried it yet?

Ouch.

Skype website still says "2.2 beta" (which is what I have), but the deb
file is 4.0.0.7-1_i386

On installing Skype gives "Disk IO error", which as far as I can tell is
Skype speak for "we couldn't be bothered to write code to upgrade your
profile so wipe your .Skype folder and all will be fine".

Unlike Google talk and Google Chrome there aren't any repositories so it
doesn't drop an entry in /etc/apt/sources.d to ensure it is up to date.
So a return to the Micrsoft application style install and forget
security model for applications.

I tried to change my password, but it tells me the new password is
"invalid" without any hint as to why it is considered invalid (too long,
too secure, who knows).

The "Log me in on starting" options doesn't seem to work, or at least
not reliably. For some reason the password change box also has this
option, so you can accidentally unset it when changing your password.

The GNOME toolbox icon has gone funny.

The trouble with proprietary protocols and the network effect - as the
vendors software quality degrades what are you going to do?