Re: [LUG] Sky Go

It is frustrating and ridiculous, I ended up using virtual box to run a copy of Windows just to watch Netflix on my Linux Mint laptop.

On May 15, 2012 8:30 PM, "Rob Beard" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15/05/12 12:20, Gibbs wrote:
On 15/05/12 12:08, George Parker wrote:
Has anyone managed to get Sky Go working on Linux? It has to have
Moonlight installed as an extension to the web browser. I tried to
install to Firefox but it said that my version 12 was not supported. I
installed to Chrome, which said that the install was good, restarted
but Sky Go still tells me that I still have to install. Any ideas?

George

It doesn't work. Same with other Silverlight services such as Netflix,
Film Four etc. The reason being is that they use 'Microsoft PlayReady
(DRM)' which is unsupported by Moonlight and will most likely continue
to be.

Annoying because it essentially means you can't download or stream films
/legally/.

Gibbs

It is frustrating, I've just signed up for Netflix, I can watch it on my PS3 (and I think the Wii and XBOX360) and my Android mobile but not on the laptop.  Of course it's probably unlikely that Microsoft would release an official Silverlight plugin for Linux, even if it's a closed source binary blob.

Rob