Re: [LUG] Online porn blocking (was: My letter to my MP etc.)

On 05/05/12 23:46, paul sutton wrote:

> Would this be the way forward submit a nice rfc and ask for comments on
> how we can protect children online

The RFCs have a Best Current Practice stream for such things, however
one would need to establish that there is a best current practice.

Many of the people behind the Internet regard censorship as abhorrent,
and would regard documentation on the best way to censor it as a bad
idea. The usual response in this group is to push the responsibility to
the end nodes.

Most pornography online is sought by males once the hormones start
flowing (typically 14+), and to a lesser extent females of similar age,
against such people these sorts of filters are going to be much less
effective, and there isn't much evidence that such exposure is a bad
thing, and some evidence it may be a good thing.

So whilst there may be things we can do to protect children online, it
isn't clear this is one of them.

 Simon